Why a Key Worker/Educator?
Key Worker/Educator is a role recognised as best practice within Early Childhood Intervention and is a service provided by Horizon ECIS. Horizon encourages families to engage a Key Worker/Educator from our team to include in their child’s services. The Key Worker/Educator will work closely with the family and incorporate the following practices and philosophies into their everyday service:
- Focus services around Family-centred Practice: A key worker will view your family as the most important people in your child’s life. The family are the main provider of your child’s learning environment and the greatest influence on creating change in your child’s development.
- Visit as much as possible into Natural Environments: Children learn best in the places where they spend the most time, doing the things that they are interested in, with the people who matter to them the most.
- Limiting Traditional Therapy Expert Model and try to provide services and supports in a Consultation Model: teaching those in natural settings and embedding ‘therapy’ into everyday routines and interactions.
How a key worker will work with you:
- be a single contact person from Horizon ECIS.
- be part of a transdisciplinary team of professionals who have knowledge of child development and access to resources and services available to you and your family.
- help identify the things your child likes to do and what they do best.
- work with you to develop a plan to support your child’s development as part of your everyday routines.
- support your decisions and priorities for your child.
- collaborate with your child’s therapists and other service providers.